Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Mom's Chicken

I absolutely love this picture. This is my mom, my BABY brother Andrew and my Gram. Andrew looks so proud standing in the middle of these "little women"!

Ok so this isn't a "Gram" recipe, but it's from my mom. And this is something I find so amazing. My Gram passed her recipes down, my mom cooked a lot of those. But she also came up with a few signature recipes herself. My Gram loved this recipe too. This chicken also made it's appearance at Pa day. Whenever there was a large group of family coming over this chicken fits the bill...quite literally too because chicken legs are cheap and when they are on sale they are "wicked" cheap. So you can feed a lot of people. So this chicken with a side of Gram's potato salad and maybe some baked beans...SO GOOD! I make this chicken A LOT, at least once every two weeks. And tonight I am bringing it over to two different families because I made so much.


Every time I make this chicken I think of my mom. WOW I miss her. We always talk about what a dream it would be to live closer to each other. And although it would be awesome, I can't think about it too much. It makes me too sad. I am so thankful for an amazing mom with whom I am so close to, even 3000 miles away.

Recipe
Ingredients


Chicken Drumsticks REMOVE THE SKIN...do not skip this step. It's time consuming but it's worth it. My mom and I both use scissors.

Seasoned Bread Crumbs


Soul Seasoning (if you can't find it use Lawry's Season salt but the soul seasoning is best)


Cooking spray



Directions:


After you have taken all the skin off rinse with water.

Roll each drumstick in breadcrumbs, until they are coated completely and line a baking pan.

Sprinkle with Soul Seasoning

Liberally spray the chicken with the cooking spray (come on don't be shy

Bake low heat I usually do 250 degrees for 30 min then crank up the heat to 425,spray the chicken again with the cooking spray and bake for another 15-20 to get the outside super crispy

Let stand for a few min before serving on the tray (I use a stone, so it keeps the chicken nice and warm)

Your meat will just fall off the bone...way better than KFC in my opinion. OH PS if by any chance you have left overs it's so good the next day just cold out of the fridge.

Not to toot my own horn but this batch came out as close to mom's as I have ever gotten!!




Kind of a gross job but it's has to be done...no skin!

The Soul Seasoning!
Breaded, seasoned and sprayed...oven please!

The finished product...so good!

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I am so glad to have found your blog. I am Carolyn's mom and I see on FB that you checked out my blog, I hope you left a comment! I don't blog for comments, but if nobody reads it, what's the point.
    I love the sound of this recipe, I am going to make it, one question about Soul Seasoning, though, is it anything like Cajun Seasoning? I have Tony Chacheres, but if Seasoning Salt is the next best thing I will try that.
    Thanks and so glad to "meet" you, I will be back!
    Hugs, Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey
    Yes I started following YOUR blog to get some cute decorating ideas! =) Love your posts. I am trying to read from the start...I have a ways to go.
    hmmm not sure about cajun seasoning. Let me tell you the ingredients of the sould seasoning and then you can compare
    Salt, Garlic, Paprika, Onion, black and red pepper. Let me know what you think when you try it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany~ Yes, it does have most of the same ingredients. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried this recipe last night! An absolute winner that I will be making again. I too used cajun seasoning, cause that was what I had. Thanks for you blog....Like I said I need lots of help and ideas when it comes to cooking...=O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn....AWESOME...so simple and so easy!

    ReplyDelete