Thursday, May 20, 2010

Simple is Better: Gram's Potato Salad

So of course since it is MY favorite I am starting with Gram's potato salad. Let me first say that I don't 'like' mayonnaise. Well at least not when it's hanging out by itself, let's say on a sandwich and why on earth would you put it on a hamburger. I get weary of over stating when when we go out to eat "NO mayonnaise". However mayonnaise when hidden nicely inside a salad for example is an entirely different story. In and egg salad...delicious, in chicken salad,scrumptious, in a tuna salad, delightful, and in the star of my pallet potato salad...perfection! Now I have turned my nose to a many potato salad...too much mayonnaise, too many unidentified ingredients. In my book the more simple the better. Gram's recipe is just that...simple. It may seem too simple to you, but I do implore you to try it and see if you don't agree. Potato salad should be just that potato salad. It shouldn't be potato and everything but the kitchen sink salad. When I think of my favorite food in all the world this is it "Gram's Potato Salad" So without further adieu...


THE RECIPE


5 Medium to large potato (of course MAINE are best but use what you have)


about 1/4 cup diced onion


2 eggs (boiled)


1 tablespoon salt


2-3 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (the idea is to lightly coat the potatoes)


Dash or 2 or 3 or 4 of Season Salt


Directions:


Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces and rinse


Add salt to a pot a water and boil potatoes until you can pierce with a fork.( Watch them carefully, undercooked is not good and overcooked will give you mashed potato salad) and then cool


Boil eggs and cool and dice


Dice onion


All ingredients should be cool before you assemble


Add mayonnaise to potatoes, egg, and onion


Mix well


Add season salt


Place in fridge for at least 2 hours.


Perfection!

*Disclosure* I have made this recipe so many times yet for some reason it never tastes exactly like Gram's. Very, very, very close...but there's something missing. I've come to conclusion that with this and every recipe I make will result in the same outcome. Because when Gram made something it had her love in it* I miss her so much I can barely catch my breath as I type this.



No comments:

Post a Comment