Thursday, May 20, 2010

Salmon Pie

Here's an early picture of Gram. My Gram was very French Canadian. She spoke French and had a few French phrases that I am most certain she would never say in English around us kids. She was born in Van Buren to Maxime and Helene Madore Grivios. You want to know where Van Buren Maine is? Way up North! Google map it! It's way up there right on the border.
This is another one of my favorites and I can not remember the last time I had it. I remember having it a lot as a child. I love the cream peas. I think I could eat a whole pie by myself. I know that it doesn't sound like salmon and cream peas would go together but THEY DO! My cousin Elisha wrote to me and said "one of my favorite things she made was her salmon pie with cream pea sauce. She made it every time we came to visit" I loved when my Uncle Mark and cousins Elisha and Melissa would come to visit. So many wonderful memories. I love that Gram made this when they would come to visit.

I got this recipe from my mom. ( I LOVE you MOM)


Salmon Pie

1 can RED salmon
5 large potatoes boiled and drained

1/4 c finely minced onions.

Pie crust (from scratch is best but from the box works awesome...not the refrigerated kind though)


Directions:
Boil and drain potatoes
Place salmon in a bowl (do not drain) remove any bones and flakes.
Mash potatoes with a masher and add salmon with the liquid.
Mash together completely with the potato masher not an electric mixer.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Put in pie crust tin with bottom crust
Add top crust and crimp crust together using a fork.
cut 3 slits in middle of top crust and prick ares with a fork.
Use extra dough to shape pie crust hearts and add to top of pie.
Cook until pie crust is golden, may brush with a little milk to help brown crust

Cream Peas:
2 cans of peas
1 1/2 cups of milk
1 tsp butter
3 tsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water


Drain 2 cans of peas, add 1 and 1/2 cups of milk and 1 teas butter, bring to a slow boil. add 3 teas. cornstarch to 1/4 c. cold water mix well then slowly add the cornstarch mixture to the peas stirring until thickened and remove pan from heat. add salt and pepper and serve over the salmon pie. So yummy! This is a true Canadian French recipe passed down from generations.







Simple ingredients make it so good

It was a bit more work than I thought getting all the bones out, they are small. But I think I got them all.

When I mashed the salmon,potatoes and onion together the smell transported me back in time. I really didn't think I would be this emotional cooking but these aren't just any recipes. These are Gram's. All my memories of Gram are GOOD ones. This recipe is very close to our family. When I asked what recipes I should make, everyone mentioned this one. I miss my Gram. Have I said that yet. I mean I really miss her. I want to pick up the phone and call her and say "hey Gram I made THE salmon pie today" and she would say "Oh Beth that's great. I bet it came out great"



So cute with the little hearts. I actually have a little heart shaped cutter, this is the first time I used it for cooking.



The peas. So let them simmer and the sauce will thicken!


Just begging to be eaten....

So I did for lunch. It was so good. Again not as good as Gram's but I would say a respectable second.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. Thx go out to your Mom:) and cheers to you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What oven temp and about how long to bake

    ReplyDelete