Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gram's Celebration Cake


My two 'baby sisters'(left to right) Mary-Elizabeth and Christine
This recipe is so simple, yet so wonderful. I personally looked forward to seeing this treat on the table at family gatherings. Gram's cake was her own little creation. I don't know why she decided to put jelly in the middle or cool whip on the top, but it all works. My sister Christine has made this cake and although we all call it "Gram's cake" when I made this cake I not only thought of my Gram but also my sister Christine. When I put the cake in the fridge I let out a big sigh. I miss Gram. I miss my family. I wish they were all coming over tomorrow for some cake and coffee.

As told to me by my sister Christine:

We can't forget Gram's cake.. I made this for everyone to enjoy when they traveled for the wake and funeral. I used to help Gram make this for Pa's thing every year.(Pa's thing is very special to our family. Every year since the passing of my grandfather, the family gathers to remember him and to be with each other. It's in September and it's always a fun time. Every year those who can make it come and those who can't wish they could. We meet at my mom's house or in years past at Aunt Prissy's house. We bring lots and lots of food and just eat and tell stories. It seriously is a fun time. Family was so important to my grandparents. They really held us all together, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, second cousins, third cousins, even people who technically weren't family. Pa was worth remembering after he passed and so now as we have lost Gram this year she is every bit worth remembering. I hope that my generation that knew her well will continue with Pa day. It's such a part of who we are. So this cake was a yearly attendee of Pa day)

You'll need:
2 boxes of yellow boxed cake mix
A jar of Jam (Or in Gram's case.. whatever kind of Jam you have in the fridge.. she would usually do half of it seedless strawberry for uncle Joe and the other half regular strawberry)
wax paper
Cool Whip
Rainbow Jimmies
2 cookies sheets that are the same size
Prepare the cake batter as directed. Lay a sheet of wax paper on each cookie sheet. Pour the cake batter into each cookie sheet evenly Bake until they are golden brown on top let the cakes cool completely. Now this is the tricky part. I don't know how she did it without breaking the cakes!Flip one cake out of the cookie sheet on top of an upside down cookie sheet lined with tin foil. Spread the jam so that it even coats the cake. Flip the other cake out of the cookie sheet on top of the other layer so that the dark side is on the inside. Spread the whipped cream on top of the cake and sprinkle.



Two identical cakes

Ok so when Gram made it she sometimes did half seedless jam and half regular because she knew Uncle Joe didn't like seeds in his jam. That was typical Gram style, she made it special and if she knew you liked or disliked something she made it special. So my Isaiah doesn't like jelly, he never has. So the top part of my jelly side has no jelly so he can enjoy this cake too.

SO here's the cake...for the life of me I could lot figure out how to make the diamond shaped pieces...CHRISTINE??? Gram always cut them into diamond pieces, long ones, not fat ones like I did. But the cake tastes just like hers diamond shaped or not. And not to toot my own horn but mine did not crack. I waited until the cakes were completely cooled. Then I lined the cakes right up next to each other and with a quick motion flip it. I did have to scoot the cake a little to line it up but it didn't disrupt the cakes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment