Saturday, May 29, 2010

Push and Lick Cookies aka Chocolate Chip Cookies

One of my fondest memories of Gram was that she always had something baked on her kitchen counter. Even when she was over 90 she still made treats. We would go to visit and she would have chocolate chip cookies, or banana bread on the counter for us to help ourselves. My boys knew it well. "Meme do you have treats?" And she always did.

I asked the boys to tell me a memory about their Meme. And this is what they said "She always let me color at her kitchen table and she let me have candy from her candy bowl" -Elijah. This is so sweet because my Elijah loves to color, and draw, he always has. And when we visited Gram she pulled out crayons and paper for him and set him up at the kitchen table...to Elijah that was just perfect. "I remember she gave me a flashlight for Christmas, mine was red and I still have it" -Isaiah. And he does. That's another thing about Gram, she always got my kids something for Christmas, even if it was something small. The flashlights were such a big hit, just the right size and they loved them. I am so sad that my Hannah didn't get a chance to meet Gram. But she will know of her. The other when I was rolling out the dough for the tarts she was sitting playing and I was telling her about Gram. She may not understand but one day she will. I guess that's how we keep our loved ones who have passed in our lives. We talk about them, and share their lives with those around us.
So why are they called "push and lick" do you really want to know?Well I had never heard that but when I asked for recipes my sister Christine said "push and lick cookies" I asked her "what are those" "well her chocolate chip cookies" So I dared to ask why she called them push and lick. So when Gram let them help (Christine and Mary) she would let them lick their fingers after they pushed the cookie dough from the spoon...hence push and lick. I did not use the push and lick method this time around since I am sharing these with a friend. But maybe next time =)


Chocolate chip cookies



3/4 cup combination of shortening and margarine/butter (more margarine/butter = crispier cookies; more shortening = softer cookies) I use butter flavored shortening and Gram liked mine

1 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar

2 tbsps milk


1 tsp vanilla extract

1 large egg


1 3/4 cups flour


1 tsp salt


3/4 tsp baking soda

1 pkg of chocolate chips 6oz or more to taste


1 cup chopped nuts if desired; Gram did not use nuts


Directions:
Beat shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk vanilla and egg. Stir in flour, salt and baking soda. Add chips and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon 2" apart on Ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375degrees 8 to 10 minutes. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.Gram always tried 3 cookies as a test batch to see if she needed more flour. This makes exactly 2 1/2 dozen!




As soon as these came out of the oven I knew they came out just like Grams. Golden, soft and perfect. Of course I had to try one and I know this sounds just silly but my eyes filled with tears and then a smile. Tears because I miss her so much and a smile because the cookie was so good just like I remembered.
A perfect plate of the perfect cookies....what could be better??......

A glass of milk and two awesome kids! "These are the best"

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to give these a try! I've never met a chocolate chip cookie I didnt like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazing Lara...let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete