Thursday, May 20, 2010

Showing Love with Food

Of all the memories I have of my amazing Grandmother, food seems to be a common thread. Not in a gluttonous sort of way but in the most loving of way. She was an amazing cook. She expressed love when she cooked. It could be something as simple as blueberry muffins she brought over to us kids before school or her amazing corn chowder, it was all done because she loved us. I think it brought her a lot of joy to see us enjoy what she made.

When I left home and would come back for a visit Gram would always call and say that she made me some of her amazing potato salad. I would go over for a visit and in the cutest little container would be just enough for me. Her potato salad is my favorite food of all time. She knew this of course and that's why she made it for me.

When we would visit Gram, unannounced of course, there would always be something baked on her kitchen counter. It could be banana bread, or maybe chocolate chip cookies. But never fail she had always baked something and we always knew just where to find it.

Gram didn't keep a recipe box. A lot of her recipes were in her head and she just remembered. I asked her a few times for her recipe for this or that and she said "well I'll have to make it to get the measurements" I have enlisted the help of some family to help me on this journey since many of them have the recipes in their head now too.

I am anticipating this journey to be an emotional one because the recipes I will be making will bring back so many wonderful memories. I miss her so much. I loved her so deeply and each memory that will be stirred up will make me long for more memories.

There are a few reasons for this undertaking. First I want to remember her. Even though it's sad, I don't want to forget her and the legacy she left behind. Second I want to have a record of all her recipes to keep and hold on too, to be able to pass on to my children. And lastly because quite simply her food was good.

Each entry will be sprinkled with memories of Gram, funny stories, and pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment