Saturday, May 29, 2010

Corn "Chowdah"

I hounded my Aunt Prissy for this recipe. So it's only fair that I tell you a little about my Aunt. She is my mothers sister. She is married to my"Uncle Joe". They have 3 children Joey,Rachel and Matt. She is kind, giving, and really a pillar of strength. I have so many memories going over to her house, which was always decorated so cute. My Gram lived in the apartment above Aunt Prissy and Uncle Joe. I remember putting on plays with my cousins in the back yard. Playing in the beauty shop. Oh the beauty shop...we would play in there for hours. Doing our hair, organizing the nail polish, looking at magazines. Aunt Prissy was so amazing to let the 4 cousins (me, Elisha, Heather, and Melissa) alone in that shop. We LOVED it. I love you Aunt Prissy!


So like I said I got this recipe from her and it was one of Gram's best. (this and the fish' chowdah' that I'll do later) Nothing beat going to Grams for a bowl of hot corn chowdah on a cold Maine winter day, or now in my case on a cold North West rainy day. It's simple, and it's GOOD!

As given to me by my Aunt



Corn Chowder:In a 3 qt pan saute in margarine enough diced onions to cover bottom of pan. Once onions are soft add four or five cubed potatoes and add just enough water to cover over by about an inch. Stir in 1 tbs instant chicken bouillon (Herbox in the little jar is what Gram used) and 1 tsp of celery salt. Once potatoes are fork tender add two cans of Creamed Corn and one can of evaporated milk. Stir, warm and serve.Seasoning can be adjusted to taste. More or less potatoes can be added. We always made this using our own judgement on how much potatoes we wanted. You can use low sodium instant bouillon if you like.



I added some fresh ground pepper on top. It came out great.

1 comment:

  1. I got to try this one! Yummy! This blog may be a life saver for me...I need help in the cooking department...=O)

    ReplyDelete