Saturday, June 19, 2010

Saturday Baked Beans

Thanks Mom for giving me the recipe!
Add Video From my Mom:
Pa had to have these every Sat night when we were growing up, and I mean every Sat night no exception that was bean night. It was served with steamed hot dogs& rolls usually red, and brown bread and homemade cold slaw. Some of us kids did not like the beans so we had the hot dogs. We never had to eat anything we did not like.

These beans are amazing. NOT too sweet, like in the can (Bush's beans have nothing on these) but just right. I remember our own Saturday night beans growing up. I know this may sound really gross, but my favorite thing in the whole world to eat is these baked beans mixed together with Gram's potato salad. I love to take a fork with some the potato salad and dip it into the baked beans. YUM
I was surprised how easy these were to make. I love them....and no one else in my house will eat them. That was until Hannah tried them and she loves them. So we will eat them together.
I wish my Gram had the chance to meet Hannah. I know she loved her. She talked about her all the time. When we last talked I told her I would teach Hannah how to say "Meme"(Meh-May) Hannah is saying lots of things "mama, dada, nahnah,cawcaw" so Meme is right around the corner.



Beautiful Hannah! (She actually did eat baked beans this day this pic was taken)



1 bag of navy pea beans
Soak 1 bag of beans overnight
Ingredients
Beans that have been soaked overnight
1/2 C Grandma's molasses
finely chopped onions 1/4 cup
1 small whole onion
2-3 slices bacon
2 teas onion salt cover
Directions:
Rinse beans well and place in bean pot( you can use a crock pot but the traditional way is in the bean pot). Add molasses,chopped onions and water to cover beans, then add whole onion and bacon and onion salt. Put in oven at 350 for an hour then turn oven down to 250 and bake all day. Check every so often to make sure that the water is still covering the beans.


cold slaw:
1 cabbage shredded thin and then chopped
3 carrots peeled and cut up fine.
1 good sized onion chopped fine about
1/2 cup mayo enough to coat cabbage then sprinkle with celery salt.





The beans that have soaked and all the other goodies added in.
Beans hanging out in the oven all day. The smell is amazing!

Yum they are finally ready to eat.....



The perfect companion....cold slaw!



So the only thing missing from this picture is a steamed red hot dog. But since I live in Washington State now, I could not get my hands on such a treasure. The people on the west coast have no idea what they are missing.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Pa would be sooooo proud! His favorite! Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! That sounds so good. We love baked beans. I have made many pots of baked beans, but I think I need to try this version. IT sounds outstanding! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baked beans were a Saturday night tradition in Josh's family too. They went to his grandparents EVERY Saturday. As a young bride, I vowed to carry on the tradition... whoops, what happened? Josh loves his mixed with cottage cheese. So, you added no extra brown sugar or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph
    NOPE nothing. We don't like them super sweet...cooking all day in the molasses really is enough. If you wanted them a little sweeter you could add some REAL maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete