Sunday, June 13, 2010

"Rondalettes"

WOW I love this picture. My Grandfather was so handsome! And the smile on Gram's face...perfect.


This recipe is so special to me. This is a treat I remember having at Gram's so many times. They are my favorite sweet treat that she made. I always called them "homemade poptarts" but they are lovingly called "Rondalettes" The reason this recipe is so special to me is because it has a very special memory to go with it. Not just we ate it and it was good kind of memory but a very personal one. Years back I wanted this recipe. I asked Gram if she would give it to me and she said "oh well I don't know it to tell you, I just make them" I laughed because I had heard that answer before. So she said "next time you come over we will make them and you can write down what we do" And that is exactly what we did. "About this much of this" she would say "Wait what was that? How much of that?" I asked back. So we made a couple batches of these "rondalettes" and I wrote down the recipe. We had so much fun that afternoon. We laughed and talked about memories. She loved it when I told her things I remembered about Pa and she would ALWAYS fill in the blanks. I remember talking a lot about Pa that day. I wish Gram was with me making these "rondalettes". I am so thankful that she took the time to show me how to make these and that I wrote it down. I am more thankful that for that afternoon in her kitchen. I knew where she kept everything. We danced around, grabbing the sugar, oil, and choosing the jelly. My Gram was a very little lady, I towered over her and I am only 5'4. But her heart was BIG. She loved BIG. It's been almost 3 months since Gram passed as I write this, but it's still doesn't seem real. The void in my life without her is just as big. Life does go on when those we love are gone, but it's different. I miss her so much. "Love ya Beth" I keep hearing in my ears. I am thankful for each memory I have of my Gram like cooking this recipe together. I only wish I had more.


Ingredients



4 cups of jiffy mix or Bisquick is fine (Gram always used jiffy products)



1 egg

1/3 cup sugar


1/4 cup veg. oil


1 1/2 cups milk

jelly (your choice, we used strawberry that day but raspberry would be good too)


Frosting (simple milk and powered sugar)



Directions:
Mix all ingredients until blended well.

Form rounded drops by the tablespoon and make a "well" in the middle of each one. Add jelly to fill the "well"

Bake at 350 for 15-20 min


cool and frost
This recipe makes almost 3 dozen

I did one Tablespoon of batter and 1/2 tsp jelly. Make sure your little "well" doesn't show the bottom of the pan or when they are cooked the jelly will fall through.

Notice how the frosting isn't perfect? That's the way Gram did it. I suppose if you wanted to be fancy you could put the frosting in a zip lock back and pipe it back and forth. But personally this is the way I like them.

2 comments:

  1. Another mouth watering recipe! That is so simple, too! I don't have any bisquick, but I imagine I can just make it from scratch with a bit of ingenuity, eh?
    Now I am off to find your chicken recipe, it is on the menu for tonight. I'm looking forward to it.
    Hugs, Cindy S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all these recipes- they are tried and true and even better because of the stories behind them!

    ReplyDelete