Monday, June 28, 2010

Molasses Bars

Here are some good looking men! These are my uncles!




Here is Gram's original recipe in her own handwriting. It's not showing up very big on this blog but that's ok. My mom and Aunt Prissy found Gram's box of recipes the other day while going through here things. Jackpot! What a treasure! So this was one of the recipes in there. There are so many more recipes to come. I can't wait to make them.

I had never had these molasses bars until I JUST made them. I love anything molasses, gingerbread, spiced anything. I don't know it reminds me of fall my favorite time of year. So I didn't know what I was in for when I made these. First let me say SO EASY. I literally just threw all the ingredients in a bowl and mixed. The baked so fast. Then it was time to taste, awesome. They are so good. On a cool fall day with a cup of tea...perfect.
Speaking of tea...my Gram always cracked me up when she made a cup of tea. She would only let the tea bag sit in the hot water for a short time. She once told me "three dunks, that's all I need" She then proceeded to dip her tea bag with a spoon three times in her hot water. What I wouldn't give to sit down and have a cup of tea with her right now. I thought that as time went on missing her would be easier. But it hasn't been. I think of her everyday. Sometimes it's something so small. Like the other day when the census person came to our door, and they asked for my name, including middle name. "T" for Trudy ..I miss my Gram. Or it's the big things, like planning our trip back to Maine and overwhelmed with sadness that she won't be there.


Ingredients



6 TBS margarine



1/4 tsp salt



1/2 tsp vanilla



1/2 cup milk



1/2 cup molasses



1/2 cup sugar



1 egg




2 cups flour


1 1/2 tsp baking powder





1/4 tsp baking soda





Mix all ingredients well. Bake 20-30 min. Then spread with topping when still warm.(use general frosting recipe)

So it didn't say how hot to make the oven I guessed 350 and it was just right. The frosting is just powered sugar and milk and vanilla.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love anything molasses, too. I will make these come Fall! Thanks so much.
    It is so sad when we lose our loved ones, I miss my mom and dad so much. Obviously God knew I could get along without them, but the miss is still there. I guess that means that they really were the amazing people that I thought they were. It sure makes us grateful, though, doesn't it.
    Hugs, cindy s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely and thoughtful idea for a blog! God bless :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size pan do I use to make these molasses bars? I know that a more experienced baker would know by just looking at the mixture, probably, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete