Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Morning Bread

I would have to say one of my favorite treats at Christmas is "Christmas Morning Bread" This recipe was from my Aunt Marlene. I am not sure where she got it from but she would give it as a gift for Christmas. My mom got the recipe and has been making it every year at Christmas for years now. I have since taken it over and make it every year. Peter (my husband) LOVES it. We call it "Christmas Morning Bread" because we eat it...Christmas morning with our coffee. BUT it could be eaten any time really. This is a sweet bread, not a bread you would make a sandwich with. I have toyed with the idea of using it to make french toast.

I love how this bread has become such a tradition. I think of my mom every time I make it. Today I talked to her and she was making her loaves. I love that it makes us connected 3000 miles away..ha that's powerful bread. And although the bread is awesome it's the memories that tie us.

This is our first Christmas without Gram. I can't even tell you how hard it is. I am clinging to the hope I have in Jesus that she is celebrating the true meaning of Christmas this year. The whole reason for the season...Jesus was born so that He could die. He was born to pay the price for our sins. He was born to hang on the cross. He was born to be buried in the tomb. He was born the conquer the grave and rise from the dead. He was born to give us the hope of eternal life. It is not a hope from a fantasy like believing in Santa Clause. It is a true and living hope. I know that one day I will experience all that Christmas should be when I meet Jesus face to face.

Fresh out of the oven.

2 packages yeast
t tsp salt
3 eggs
2 tsp cardamon
1 cup sugar
1 cup melted butter
2 cups scaled milk (bring milk just to a boil and cool)
8 cups flour or until dough is not sticky

Soften yeast in warm water
Beat eggs and sugar
add milk, salt butter, cardamon and yeast
add flour gradually
Kneed until smooth
Place in greased bowl until dough has doubled in size
Punch dough down
Divide into four portions
Cut each portion into three pieces
Roll into plaits and braid
lay on greased sheet and let rise 1 hour
brush with beaten egg
Bake at 325 for 1/2 hour or until golden brown on top and bottom
Frost with white Frosting, add cherries and chopped Walnuts.


One way to decorate it. You could spread the frosting on top, that is how we did it for years but I mixed it up a bit so you could see the braid. You could even shape the bread into a circle for a "Christmas" wreath and it makes it easy to find a container to put it in for gift giving.
Merry Merry CHRISTmas.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm...that sounds so good. I will make that one day, probably not this week though. We will be going away for the weekend and back for next week.
    Have a wonderful Christmas!
    Love and hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 8 loaves! Last 2 are in the oven, lot of work but well worth it! Yours looks amazing!!!! love you!! mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful web site. I use to make cinnamon rolls with my nana.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete